Job Announcement: Business Development Manager
Employment type: Full time
Benefits: Yes – excellent benefits package
Salary: $80,000-$100,000 - depending on experience
Reports to: Executive Director
Clean Production Action is a dynamic, not-for-profit organization that is changing the products we use every day through tools and collaborations. Our mission is to design and deliver strategic solutions for green chemicals, sustainable materials, and environmentally preferable products. We are a solutions organization. Our tools are the GreenScreen® for Safer Chemicals and Chemical Footprint Project. Our collaborations are the BizNGO Working Group for Safer Chemicals and the Investor Environmental Health Network.
Our programs are growing rapidly. Businesses, governments, NGOs, consultancies, and universities use GreenScreen® because it sets the gold standard for chemical hazard assessments. GreenScreen® is now part of the U.S. Green Building Council’s standard known as LEED v4 and TCO Certified, a sustainability standard for the electronics sector, among others. Investors, brands, retailers, and product manufacturers participate in the Chemical Footprint Project because it delivers a much-needed framework for measuring progress away hazardous chemicals to safer solutions. Businesses and NGOs work together in BizNGO to grow the development and use of hazard assessment and chemical footprinting tools. Investors collaborate in the Investor Environmental Health Network to proactively engage companies in reducing their chemical footprint and integrating health into their Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Successful candidates will be skillful in growing revenue into the organization by increasing demand for our programs, with an initial focus on the GreenScreen suite of tools. In this newly established position the Business Development Manager will work with the Executive Director in refining current, and developing new, earned income strategies across the organization. The Business Development Manager will deepen and broaden existing partnerships as well cultivate new relationships to grow the use of our tools and participation in our collaborations. The Business Development Manager will work with the Executive Director and program staff in creating and executing business development opportunities.
Critical abilities of the Business Development Manager include: understanding the pain points of existing and new clients; working with staff to create solutions to meet these pain points; creating and managing targeted marketing campaigns; having fluency in strategic communications; and creating harmonious business transactions that reflect the values of the organization. Capability in navigating input and needs from a diversity of stakeholders – investors, NGOs, regulators, and businesses across a range of sectors, including chemical, building products, retail, electronics, apparel and footwear, consumer goods, health care, and toys – is essential.
- Develop, update, and execute strategies for growing earned income across all programs.
- Ensure integration and alignment of business development efforts across all aspects of the organization, including mission/vision, marketing, program services, and traditional fundraising.
- Cultivate new relationships for fee-for service and optimize existing relationships.
- Work with the program team to craft and customize tools to meet client needs.
- Develop quotes, financial targets, and proposals in conjunction with the Executive Director.
- Develop sales and budgetary goals for the team and ensure they are met.
- Establish internal and external systems to manage relationships.
- Update and communicate the value propositions of the programs and the organization to current and prospective clients.
- Identify new leads and potential new markets for our tools and collaborations.
- Broaden and deepen existing partnerships and cultivate new partnerships.
- Plan and oversee new marketing initiatives in conjunction with the communications and program teams.
- Attend conferences, meetings, and industry events.
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations and sales displays.
- Contact partners to inform them about new developments in organization’s tools and collaborations.
- Plan, coordinate and execute a robust marketing and communication strategy.
- Manage relationships with users of the tools for quality assurance and control.
- Leverage development and dissemination of our tools through partnerships with businesses, governments, and non-profit organizations.
- Support and execute strategic partnerships to integrate our tools into other programs standards, and to harmonize with leading regulatory and other initiatives.
- Grow earned income across all programs.
- Elevate the prominence and use of the organization’s tools and collaborations.
Required Skill, Knowledge and Competencies
- Minimum of five years experience in developing corporate fundraising partnerships and sponsorship proposals beyond traditional non-profit philanthropic and charitable fundraising.
- Environmental health knowledge, experience, demonstrated passion and/or track record.
- Excel at working collaboratively with technical experts and environmental advocates.
- Familiarity with non-profit social enterprise best practices.
- This position requires initiative, resourcefulness and experience as a “self-starter”.
- Excellent ability to communicate clearly and concisely through written and spoken word – representational and public speaking skills are essential
- Strong listening, communication, and collaboration skills.
- A proven track record of successful proposals, campaigns and relationship management.
- Experience and enjoyment of event planning, production, and follow up including: budget development and management, scheduling and vendor coordination, and promotion and communications.
- Ability to appropriately communicate sensitive information and to judge how and with whom this information should be shared.
- Advanced computer skills, particularly with the Microsoft Office suite of applications and relational databases. Salesforce CRM preferred.
- Knowledge and ability to implement principles of management, leadership, and motivation including use of online – shared project management systems such as Smartsheet or Basecamp.
- Ability to foster a collaborative, customer-oriented working environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence including, consensus building and teamwork.
- Excellent organizational skills: ability to manage several tasks and meet deadlines; and effective time & detail management skills.
- Reliable attendance and punctuality: begin work on time, conform to work hours as required for a salaried, exempt employee; ensure unscheduled sick/personal time does not exceed established company standards.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
Clean Production Action is an "at-will" and equal opportunity employer. Clean Production Action is committed to ensuring the diversity of its board, staff, volunteers, and programming. We accomplish this through leadership, values, policies, and practices. We define diversity in terms of race, gender, religion, culture, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical abilities, age, parental status, and socio‐economics. We respect different experiences and cultures across this diversity and will work to create a culture in which diverse people feel supported, recognized, and rewarded in making their best contributions to the mission of our organization.
The Business Development Manager is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Location: Preference for Greater Boston Metropolitan area. Virtual / remote work is an option for the right candidate.
Pay commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
If you are comfortable working in a dynamic, evolving, and innovative environment, and believe you are an excellent candidate, then please submit your resume, two writing samples, and cover letter as soon as possible to:
Subject line: BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
No agencies. No phone calls, please.